Sunday, December 8, 2013

Wrapped Up in a Wreath

Perhaps like a lot of people, my husband and I don't put up a Christmas tree for the holidays.  There's many reasons for this:  we don't have children, we often travel over the holidays, etc.  Despite all that, I do love Christmas tree ornaments, and have made and collected some much-loved decorations over the years.


So this year, I decided to buy an artificial wreath for over our fireplace, and decorate it in lieu of a tree.  All of the decorations are handmade, but come from a few sources:

Some are made by me from recycled greeting cards (tutorial here)!

Some are made of polymer clay and decorated with various stamps (super easy - check out my tutorial)!

Some I received in my knitting group's annual ornament exchange!

I love them all, and found that this burlap ribbon (with just a hint of gold running through it) did a nice job of tying together my shiny, glittery ornaments with my clay and fiber-made decorations.  One note:  I found that just hanging the ornaments on the wreath looked a little weird.  All I could see were the hangers and it distracted from the decorations.  So instead I removed the hanging loops and wired the ornaments in place, securing them to the frame of the wreath. 

I still need to do some re-arranging with the decorations, but I'm really happy with the overall results.  I think it's a great alternative if you don't have a tree. 



3 comments:

  1. This wreath is so lovely-- although it's missing my favorite dear and sheep ornaments you made! I think the bottom multicolor abstract star is gorgeous. This wreath looks homey and elegant and that photo could very well be in a magazine. I'll envy you when it's time to pack our tree away ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! The deer and one of the sheep moved on to new homes :) The other sheep may "graze" on my mantle once I can reinforce his legs so he'll stand.

    Packing up should be particularly easy since I only plan to remove the yarn and fiber ornaments (in case of moths). I'll just leave the other ones on it in place and pack it away for next year!

    ReplyDelete