Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Quaratine Project #3 - Large Paper Quilt


So here is my big accomplishment during my self quarantine.  I've had this idea on my project list for over a year.  It started with a Ohio Stars quilt that I saw on Pinterest that I really loved.  I don't sew, but wondered if I could piece together something similar using scrapbook paper.  I've used quilts as inspiration for paper collages before.


 I drew out the pattern on a 24 x 24 inch stretched canvas, using the quilt on Pinterest as my guide.


Then I came up with a plan:  I'd start my quilt with a map piece at the center.  Then I'd use light color pieces for the center star.  Once I got a combination of pieces together that I liked, I glued them down using acrylic medium.


Next, I started laying down pieces to create my brighter square (see finished photo above), using mainly reds, pinks, and greens.




Then I completed the outer large star with dark pieces of blue and purple paper.




I finished the corners using light paper again.  This went pretty quickly as I was able to cut multiple pieces of paper at the same time to complete these areas.



As I often do with these quilts, I added some stamping using household items like pen caps and pencil ends to add additional color.  I dipped these items in acrylic paint, then stamped them around my canvas where I wanted some more color or texture.


This has been the silver lining of our stay at home orders - I've had this project in the works for a long while and this quiet time has given me the opportunity to see it through.  I'm working on framing this large quilt collage, as I did with this collage.  I'm really happy with how this project turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment